Monday, March 25, 2013

DuckTales: Remastered HD

Apocalypse POW! is still technically in a holding pattern, but in the meantime, I wanted to post a handful of things I've been sitting on lately, starting with this. Announced last week, here is the teaser trailer for the upcoming high-definition remake of the classic NES game DuckTales, out sometime this summer. The remastered edition will be available through the Wii U eShop, XBLA and PSN, with a very good chance it'll be coming to Steam at some point as well.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this. There were a lot of games that I loved as a kid, but DuckTales was - for a while at least - my absolute favorite. It was pretty tough, I'll give it that, but that just made it all the more satisfying when I beat it.

I guess I was about eleven when DuckTales first aired, and the Nintendo game came out a year later. Even at that young age, I was well aware that videogame tie-ins to established properties were generally not good, but for some reason Disney's Nintendo games, probably thanks to Capcom's involvement, were always top-notch. I played the hell out of DuckTales and despite the occasionally wonky controls, it was my go-to game for at least a year.

It seems like remastering and re-releasing games is a thing lately: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix and Final Fantasy X \ X-2 HD Remaster are both in the pipeline for the PS3 and are due to be released the near future, and I'm sure there are other games due for HD treatment as well. Which makes it all the more awesome that Capcom is digging into the vaults for a gem like DuckTales to polish up and release.

I'm gonna get my nostalgia on SO HARD when this finally hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment