Monday, March 12, 2012

Triptych: Batman HATES Jokes


"8-Bit Dark Knight Poster" by Eric Palmer1


"I'm Batman" by Fabian Gonzalez2


(Click for full-size)
"Gotham High Concept Art" by Jeffrey Thomas and Celeste Green3

1 We watched The Dark Knight on Sunday morning. It's been about two years since I last watched it and MAN, I am struck by how impressed I still am with Heath Ledger as The Joker. I know everyone was, and still is, blown away by his performance, but coming back to it and seeing it after two years really put it in perspective. Christian Bale's Batman, by contrast, has just gotten more laughable and growly.
2 A Batman made up of batman insignia. That is all.
3 Gotham High was a very real proposed animated series which (perhaps thankfully) never got past the concept art stage. Nevertheless, I admire the creativity that went into this youngified approach to Batman's Rogues Gallery. From left to right: Clayface, Two-Face, The Penguin, Killer Croc, The Riddler, Batgirl, Batman, Scarecrow, Catwoman, The Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Bane and Mr. Freeze. You can check out more concept art here. I think that - all things considered - given the consistently high quality of Batman cartoons, from Batman: The Animated Series to The Brave and The Bold, this might have actually been not-terrible. As it is, it's a curious and amusing artifact.

No comments:

Post a Comment